Examples of Problems You’ll Be Solving:
- Design and build elegant, resilient and robust APIs
- Produce libraries and tools to power our products and platform. By developers for developers.
- Continuously monitor and enhance SQL queries to keep our data layer performant and resilient. For example, tuning an SQL query by using Postgres’ explain analyze and assessing different trade-offs.
- Be responsible for full development lifecycle, from design, development and testing to deployment to production and monitoring.
- Increase the quality and maintainability of our Ruby codebase by refactoring classes, brainstorming better method names, and improving our automated RSpec tests. Quality is inseparable from work.
- Pair with teammates to exchange ideas on design, naming and architecture.
- Add monitoring across our codebase to bring transparency and visibility into our data pipelines.
What We'll Offer You:
- Opportunity to work on exciting projects that impact developers and managers across the planet.
- Mentorship and coaching on correlated areas, including growth and learning plans.
- A friendly, blameless and warm atmosphere in which peers are always willing to help, with pairing and mob sessions.
- The environment and support you need to learn and apply new technologies to further your career, with conferences, courses, books.
- A healthy balance between processes and culture so we stay organized while also retaining creativity, plus the venues to propose improvements.
You’re Awesome Because:
- You are uncovering better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it.
- You promote transparency and proactive communication.
- You promote a blameless, egoless culture, and support those who share ideas, leading by example.
- You review pull requests and documentation with empathy and kindness.
- You contribute to raise the bar when it comes to technical excellence and quality.
- You value technical safety by writing tests and taking ownership of delivery to production.
- You value individuals and interactions over processes and tools.
- You feel comfortable working with backend programming languages (95% of our code is written in Ruby on Rails, also a little bit of Shell Script, Typescript frontend and Java).
- You feel comfortable working with SQL (we use Postgres).
- You have 6+ years of experience as an engineer.
- Strong communication skills: you will be proposing technical solutions to the rest of the team.
- Strong preference for data-driven decisions on architecture and prioritization.
- Comfortable operating or learning infrastructure tooling such as Terraform, and AWS environments.
We are committed to supporting your continued growth in the areas you don't feel as comfortable. We don't care a lot about degrees (they're a proxy variable), but we do value good and readable algorithms and a student mentality.
- Systems thinking.
- Strong writing skills.
- Comfortable improving Postgres queries.
- Experience driving initiatives at a broader level across an organization or company.
- Experience building and designing scalable backend systems.
- You understand the practical differences between unit, integration and acceptance tests.